Tuesday, July 7, 2009

happy birthday



To my Son on his 2nd Birthday:


Curtis James you are so beautiful. Thank you for choosing me to be your mama. I can't believe how lucky your daddy and I have been to have you in our lives - we love you so much.

Every day when I wake up I can't wait to see your sweet face - whether it's climbing all over me in bed rooting around for "mommy milken" or if I'm lucky enough to wake up before you and get a shower and a cup of hot tea before I come into your room to see you peeping over the crib as you reach your little arms in the air to be picked up. We nurse and cuddle and wake up and try to get the sleep out of our eyes. I know our nursing days are probably numbered, but I cherish this time with you in the morning and when I get home from work - we get to reconnect and be close and take a few minuets to slow down. Pretty soon when you don't need mama's milk anymore, we will find new ways to be close and you will find new ways to be close to daddy too - it's really exciting.

Curtis, you are such an amazing little boy. I can hardly believe you are already a little boy, but that's what has happened - you have turned from our little tiny bean of a baby to a running, jumping, dancing, singing, piano playing, drumming, laughing little boy. You have such confidence in yourself and your ability to do everything by yourself. "Cursey dood it" is a phrase we hear a lot. It's really awesome to see and completely inspiring. I want to do everything I can to protect you from harm, but I also know that you can do so much more than I give you credit for. You have no fear and I love that about you. Even if it scares the bejesus out of me.

This year you are going to discover so much and learn so many new things. I can't wait to see what this year brings for us. When you were a tiny, tiny baby I used to rock you for hours just hoping that I could hold on to those moments forever and that it would never end. I was so afraid of losing those days. Little did I know that with each passing day and week and month and year I would love you more and love each new phase more than the last. Is it possible that it could keep getting better? That is my hope for you this year - that it keeps getting better.

Happy Birthday my sweetheart. You are my sunshine.

~mama




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so sweet, thanks for sharing, Katie

Unknown said...

That just made me cry Brooke! So well said. Happy birthday to Curtis!

Danica